Why does my dog pee when I pet him?
Submissive peeing is a submissive gesture that can happen when a dog is over-excited, anxious and/or fearful. You cannot punish your dog for submissive peeing because your dog is not doing it on purpose and cannot help it. If your dog is young, it can sometimes be outgrown.
How do I work on stopping it?
To help dogs overcome this behavior, along with taking some extra housebreaking precautions, you are going to have to work on getting their minds to calm down. Start teaching them canine-to-human respect, take them for daily walks where they are heeling on the lead and not pulling. They have to be following you, not you following them. Teach them to enter and exit all gate and doorways after humans and exercise them by walking them for long periods of time to help them relax and drain their energy. This should help them not pee from excitement. Recognize any dominancy behaviors if any are present and work at calmly, but firmly correcting them so the dog can feel secure. Dogs that do not see a clear pattern of leadership often worry about their pack.
When you get home from being gone, ignore your dog. Move slowly, and keep it calm. One tactic you can try is to walk sideways or backward. Do not praise it as this will create excitement. Do not get on the ground with it and do not lean over it. Do not bend down toward it, or look at it in the eyes and do not face it head-on. When you walk into the house and it runs to you, do not stop and reach down to pet it. Go to the bathroom or do something besides greeting it immediately until it calms down.
Advise guests to do the same. Inform your guests ahead of time to please completely ignore the dog.
A little later, let your dog come to you. It may take a while, but it can be done. You can gradually adjust your motions as you see its confidence building and its mind calming.
Written by Sharon Maguire© Dog Breed Info Center® All Rights Reserved
For further information, check out the following articles:
- Natural Dogmanship
- It's a Way of Life
- A Group Effort
- Why Dogs Must be Followers
- What Does it Mean to be Dominant?
- Dogs Only Need Love
- Different Dog Temperaments
- Dog Body Language
- Dog Training vs. Dog Behavior
- Punishment vs. Correction in Dogs
- Are you setting your dog up for failure?
- Lack of Natural Dog Behavior Knowledge
- The Grouchy Dog
- Working with a Fearful Dog
- Old Dog, New Tricks
- Understanding a Dog's Senses
- The Human Dog
- My Dog was Abused
- Successfully Adopting a Rescue Dog
- Positive Reinforcement: Is it enough?
- Adult Dog and the New Puppy
- Why Did My Dog Do That?
- Proper Way to Walk a Dog
- The Walk: Passing Other Dogs
- Introducing Dogs
- Dogs and Human Emotions
- Do Dogs Discriminate?
- Speaking Dog
- Dogs: Fear of Storms and Fireworks
- Providing a Job Helps Dog with Issues
- Teaching Dogs to Respect the Kids
- Proper Human to Dog Communication
- Rude Dog Owners
- Canine Feeding Instincts
- Human to Dog No-No's: Your Dog
- Human to Dog No-No's: Other Dogs
- FAQ About Dogs
- Small Dogs vs. Medium and Large Dogs
- Separation Anxiety in Dogs
- Dominant Behaviors in Dogs
- The Submissive Dog
- Bringing Home the New Human Baby
- Approaching a Dog
- Top Dog
- Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position
- Alpha Boot Camp for Dogs
- Guarding Furniture
- Stopping a Jumping Dog
- Using Human Psychology on Jumping Dogs
- Dogs Chasing Cars
- Spaying and Neutering your Dog
- Submissive Peeing
- An Alpha Dog
- Who's More Prone to Fight, Male or Female Dogs?
- Whelping: Puppy Nipple Guarding
- The Truth behind the Pit Bull Terrier
- Protecting Your Puppy from Dog Attacks
- Chaining Dogs
- SPCA High-Kill Shelter
- A Senseless Death, a Misunderstood Dog
- Amazing What a Little Leadership Can Do
- Transforming a Rescue Dog
- DNA Canine Breed Identification
- Dog Bite Survey
- Raising a Puppy
- Stages of Puppy Development
- Introducing a New Crate to a Puppy or Dog
- Puppy Temperament Test
- Puppy Temperaments
- A Dog Fight - Understanding your Pack
- Understanding your puppy or dog
- Runaway Dog!
- Socializing your Dog
- Should I Get a Second Dog
- Is your Dog Out of Control?
- Illusion Dog Training Collar
- Top Dog Photos
- Training your Puppy or Dog
- Puppy Biting
- Deaf Dogs
- Are You Ready for a Dog?
- Breeders vs. Rescues
- Find the Perfect Dog
- Caught in the Act
- The Pack of Dogs is Here!
- Recommended Dog Books and DVDs
- Need to find your dog a home?