Sled Dog Breeds
"Misty the retired sled dog from Alaska playing with Rikki the Siberian Husky."
Shane the female Siberian Husky at 6 years old on the left and Marco the male Alaskan Malamute at 18 months old on the right—"Both dogs are from a rescue center. I have two more husky-mix breeds as well. Both are very active, but can only have frequent short walks during Hong Kong's very hot summers. They love the country parks in winter! Although Marco has a dominant personality with some other dogs, he's very friendly with people. Shane is shyer with strangers, loves to play tug-of-war with the leash, and starts very noisy play-fights with Marco even though he is twice her weight (25 vs. 42 kg). Marco was completely untrained when he arrived at 1 year old. It took 3 to 4 months to civilize him, and it has been well worth the effort. I very quickly learned that he responds well to praise, and poorly to scolding; that was the key to him making progress."
From left to right:
"Dream is 3 years old in this photo. She is mostly black (Siberian Husky). When we bought her they told us she is a particular type of Siberian Husky, a ’Sport Husky,’ ideal for hard work, like a sled dog. Her behavior is similar to Laska, but she is less independent and more affectionate to us. She could be an Alaskan Husky..."
"Laska at 10 years old is a black-and-white Siberian Husky. She still acts young, she plays, sometimes she tries to bark (she prefers howling), and she is the leader of our dogs’ pack."
"Winnie is a little black-and-white Alaskan Malamute, possibly mixed with Husky and the youngest element of the group. Her eyes are unique...one brown and one light blue with a brown spot...fantastic. She's a bit naughty, she loves water, swimming and ’biting’ water."
"Winnie the black-and-white Malamute at 4 years old (shown above as a puppy) is very strong, adorable and smart. She loves water, taking a bath, and loves the snow. She's a good guard dog and is the only one of my dogs who will defend our home."
"Daisy, a grey Siberian Husky, and Dream, my 6-year-old black-and-white Alaskan Husky. are very fast, tireless and a bit wild. They love hunting cats, rats, birds and any small animals they can find!"
"Misty is our retired sled dog from Alaska; shown here at 7 years old."
To see a full list including hybrids visit All Purebreds and Cross Breeds
- Natural Dogmanship
- It's a Way of Life
- A Group Effort
- Why Dogs Must be Followers
- What Does it Mean to be Dominant?
- Dogs Only Need Love
- Different Dog Temperaments
- Dog Body Language
- Stopping Fights Among your Pack
- Dog Training vs. Dog Behavior
- Punishment vs. Correction in Dogs
- Are you setting your dog up for failure?
- Lack of Natural Dog Behavior Knowledge
- The Grouchy Dog
- Working with a Fearful Dog
- Old Dog, New Tricks
- Understanding a Dog's Senses
- The Human Dog
- Projecting Authority
- My Dog was Abused
- Successfully Adopting a Rescue Dog
- Positive Reinforcement: Is it enough?
- Adult Dog and the New Puppy
- Why Did My Dog Do That?
- Proper Way to Walk a Dog
- The Walk: Passing Other Dogs
- Introducing Dogs
- Dogs and Human Emotions
- Do Dogs Discriminate?
- The Intuition of a Dog
- Speaking Dog
- Dogs: Fear of Storms and Fireworks
- Providing a Job Helps Dog with Issues
- Teaching Dogs to Respect the Kids
- Proper Human to Dog Communication
- Rude Dog Owners
- Canine Feeding Instincts
- Human to Dog No-No's: Your Dog
- Human to Dog No-No's: Other Dogs
- FAQ About Dogs
- Small Dogs vs. Medium and Large Dogs
- Separation Anxiety in Dogs
- Dominant Behaviors in Dogs
- The Submissive Dog
- Bringing Home the New Human Baby
- Approaching a Dog
- Top Dog
- Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position
- Alpha Boot Camp for Dogs
- Guarding Furniture
- Stopping a Jumping Dog
- Using Human Psychology on Jumping Dogs
- Dogs Chasing Cars
- Training Collars. Should they be used?
- Spaying and Neutering your Dog
- Submissive Peeing
- An Alpha Dog
- Who's More Prone to Fight, Male or Female Dogs?
- Whelping: Puppy Nipple Guarding
- The Truth behind the Pit Bull Terrier
- Protecting Your Puppy from Dog Attacks
- Chaining Dogs
- SPCA High-Kill Shelter
- A Senseless Death, a Misunderstood Dog
- Amazing What a Little Leadership Can Do
- Transforming a Rescue Dog
- DNA Canine Breed Identification
- Raising a Puppy
- Raising an Alpha Puppy
- Raising a Middle of the Road Puppy
- Raising a Back of the Line Puppy
- Stages of Puppy Development
- Introducing a New Crate to a Puppy or Dog
- Puppy Temperament Test
- Puppy Temperaments
- A Dog Fight - Understanding your Pack
- Understanding your puppy or dog
- Runaway Dog!
- Socializing your Dog
- Should I Get a Second Dog
- Is your Dog Out of Control?
- Illusion Dog Training Collar
- Top Dog Photos
- Training your Puppy or Dog
- Puppy Biting
- Deaf Dogs
- Are You Ready for a Dog?
- Breeders vs. Rescues
- Find the Perfect Dog
- Caught in the Act
- The Pack of Dogs is Here!
- Recommended Dog Books and DVDs
- Need to find your dog a home?